Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wow Your Friends With These Great Summer Drinks

Faced with planning an upcoming, outdoor summer party, I spent about an hour on the internet a few days ago in search of some festive summer drinks. I couldn't believe how many great sounding recipes I encountered. Most of them were entirely new to me.

To see if the drinks that sounded good also tasted good, I put together and sampled about fifteen in my home. I then tried an almost equal number in a friendly area pub over the course of about a week. Interestingly, every drink that sounded good tasted good; every one, without exception. But, these five really stood out.

First is the Rasmopolitan, courtesy of liclubs.com. It's made with an ounce of Stoli, 1/2 ounce of Triple Sec, a half ounce of fresh lime juice, and however much cranberry juice is required to fill a tall class after the other ingredients are added. The suggested garnish is a lime wedge.

A drink called Sex on the Beach also comes from liclubs.com (a sight I wound up bookmarking). By putting together a half ounce of peach schnapps, a half ounce of vodka, and an ounce each of pineapple juice and cranberry juice you get a very refreshing drink. I shook mine over ice and fell in love after the first sip.

Thanks to dreamsmixer.com for the Creamy Root Beer. Simply pour 2 ounces of Dr. Mcgillicuddy's Vanilla Schnapps into a frozen mug filled with ice, fill nearly to the top with root beer, and top off with a spoonful of cream.

Have you figured out yet that I not exactly a two fisted drinker? If so, you won't be shocked that my next choice, courtesy of frontgate.com, is a Strawberry Colada. To make one, just put together 1-1/4 ounce of (light) rum, 1/4 ounce of pineapple juice, and an ounce each of pina colada mix and strawberry daiquiri mix. Blend it and garnish with a cherry and an orange slice. It will taste as good as it looks.

I wanted an alcohol free drink for the party, and boy did I find a good one. On recipelink.com I chanced upon a drink called the Butterfinger, named after the candy bar which is part of the recipe. To make this sure crowd pleasing treat, freeze a bowl, a Butterfinger, and a sixteen once glass for at least a half hour. Longer is better. When you are ready to serve it, crush the Butterfinger...it's easier if you do so while it's wrapped, and put it to the side while you mix 2 cups of vanilla ice cream and a quarter cup of milk in the frozen bowl. When the ice cream and milk mixture is soft and smooth, stir in 2/3 of the crushed Butterfinger pieces...that's what the recipe says...I used the whole candy bar and had no regrets. Pour into the frozen glass, and serve with a spoon.

After my internet search and the delicious follow up research, I can recommend two things; the drinks described above and the wisdom of searching for drinks on the internet. Try both.

Source: articlesnatch

No comments:

Post a Comment