Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gluten-free Snacks: Guacamole

Guacamole is great as a Gluten-Free in-between meal snack or appetizer. If you can get avocadoes on sale, it is inexpensive to make.

One reason I prefer cooking over baking is you dont have to measure. Everything is according to taste, not according to science. So, that is why you dont see exact teaspoons or tablespoons below. If you like stronger onion or garlic flavor, add more. I tend to go a little heavier on the lime and the Worcestershire sauce. I like it less spicy, more robust.

INGREDIENTS
3 Avocadoes
1 clove of fresh garlic
2 small slices of tomato
3 small slices of onion (yellow or sweet)
3 small slices of green or red pepper
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Fresh lime juice to taste
Worcestershire sauce to taste Lea & Perrins IS Gluten-Free

I dont bother peeling the avocadoes I cut them in half, pull out the pit, then squeeze the meat out of each half. It can be a little messy on the fingers but its fast. If you want really smooth guacamole, you can go ahead and mash the avocadoes now. I like mine a little chunky, so I add all the other ingredients before mixing.

Chop the onions, the garlic and the tomato. I prefer the flavor of red pepper, but in this case the store was out so I used green. I cut them a little larger than the other ingredients so I can pull them out of my serving since I dont care to actually eat them. In the photo below, you will find (bottom) garlic, (9 oclock) onion, tomato on top and green pepper to the right.

Now mix everything together with a spatula or your tool of choice. Add the Worcestershire Sauce, salt, pepper and lime juice to taste.

Mix thoroughly. It is best to let the guacamole sit overnight for the most flavor. But, if you dont want to wait, theres no reason you cant serve it now.

Guacamole needs refrigeration. It also should not be exposed to air or it will turn brown. To store properly, flatten the guacamole in its bowl. Then put plastic wrap directly against it as pictured below.

One of the best things about making guacamole is the clean-up is a breeze. All I used was 1 knife, 1 cutting board, 1 bowl and 1 spatula.

Enjoy your guacamole either plain or with black olives, sour cream, salsa or whatever else you like, and Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Source: articlesnatch


Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment